Monday, April 9, 2012

Why Do I Love This Place?



All,

First, Do you see that picture? We've had a full week of uninterrupted sunlight and that has effected miraculous changes. My hair finally went back to being normal blond, my cold completely went away and no one makes fun of me when I wear sunglasses at night.

Mom asked me a question that made me laugh. She said "Are you getting mostly normal daylight hours now? I hear that it changes so much as 5 minutes daily." To her, I respond, how much sunlight is normal? The sun's coming up at 5 in the morning and going down at 8:30 p.m. Even as far south as we are (the south-est [most southern] in the mission) we're still going to be getting only 4 hours of actual darkness come summer.

Second, the Work is going awesome. We taught the first lesson to investigator "Six hour" last week. She agreed to be baptized when she received a witness that it was all true. I left her with my promise that has never gone wrong: "if you put in the work, you WILL receive a witness of the truth". For everyone seeking, I promise the same thing. If you're willing to do what the Lord asks of you, you will never be left in the dark.

Third, The food is great and deer meat is delicious. Down (or is it up?) here, the deer are only the size of, say, a large golden retriever, so residents are allowed to take 5 per year, per family member. Fish is delicious. Halibut, Salmon, Cod, crab, it's all great.

The packages Mom sent up of g-f mixes are great as well. It was awesome to have waffles and muffins and other g-f treat things. To answer my mother's criticism about not remembering how to make waffles, let me simply say that it's been a full year since I was in college and needed to make them myself. On that note, "How do you make them again?"

Fouth, my Companion is great. Elder Denison is from Price, UT. He's 22 years old and has 4 months left on his mission. He's had some of the hardest times in a mission that the mission has to offer, but he's doing great now.

Fifth, I just love being on a mission. I'm learning great things, both for myself and for others.

Here's my thought for this time: "We need to recognize how we feel the spirit. This is the most important thing we can learn in our lives. Whether it comes in knowledge, feelings, enlightenment, or anything else, we need to be able to feel and understand it so that we can follow it."

I'll share a weird example before I sign off. Every time I'm alone in a house, or the last one awake, I'll always get the feeling to check the locks on the doors before I go to sleep. I'll ignore it, because I already checked them. But I always get the feeling again. So, I'll go and check the locks, and lo and behold! They're all locked.

This is training. One day, I'll be able to check the first time without needing a second prompting. And maybe someday, with all my diligence, the door will be unlocked.

Or maybe I'm just going crazy. ;)

Love from the North,

Elder DArcey

No comments: